Posted at 4:05 pm June 26, 2012, in Faculty and Staff News
Dr. John D. Worrall
- Dr. Worrall’s research paper, entitled “Wage and Injury Response to Shifts in Workplace Liability” has been published by Industrial and Labor Relations Review in 2008.
This paper examines the impact of a monumental change in tort liability law, the Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA) of 1908. This shift from common law, by changing the way injured workers were compensated and the compensating wage differentials for risk bearing, set the stage for workers’ compensation and other no-fault systems. Focusing on the New Jersey railroad system, the authors examine three periods: the pre-FELA years of 1900-1908; 1909-1911, when the FELA laws were the only changes in the common laws affecting some railroad workers; and 1912-1916, when both FELA and workers’ compensation laws affected railroad workers. They find that as liability shifted to railroad companies, accident rates fell for three occupational groups who worked outdoors, but rose for railroad “craft” employees (who worked indoors in shops). They also find that wages shifted for all four of the major occupational groups as predicted by their model.
- Dr. John D. Worrall has appeared on many TV and radio shows to discuss various economic topics (for example, “The Economic Cost of the War,” Bloomberg Forum ; “Auto Insurance Costs,” Fox Forum, Lee Leonard Show, Bud Grant Show and many others; “The Economics Cost of SARS,” It’s Your Call – The Lynne Doyle Show ); “The $87 Billion Supplemental Budget Request and the Cost of Rebuilding Iraq” Money Matters Today – CN8, Mary Fay Show.
- Boomers both blessed and bummed
Asbury Park Press – Jan 31, 2011 – Joe Cooney
Rutgers University economics professor Jack Worrall said he would be “highly, highly skeptical that every senior citizen is feeling good about the (economic) …
- COURIER-POST, Sat, Dec. 20, 2010
Cutbacks in jobs felt in Camden
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) discussed the local labor market and the impact of job cuts in Camden.COURIER-POST, Sat, Dec. 18, 2010
- Prices at pump continue to decline
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) discussed gasoline prices, demand and holiday traffic
- WKXW-FM (NJ101.5) Dec 16, 2010
“There are fundamental reasons why there will be more people under water,” said Jack Worrall, the chairman of the Economic Department at …
- Journal of Corporate Recruiting Leadership
FIRMS THAT RECRUIT EARLY WILL HAVE THEIR PICK OF THE BEST AND BRIGHTEST (VOL 5, Issue 10, Dec. 2010/Jan. 2011)
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) gave his economic outlook for the coming year and his views on recruiting and the labor market.
- Gloucester County job loss among worst – NJ.com
nj.com – Oct 22, 2010
According to Jack Worrall, professor of economics at Rutgers University, these shifts are common, especially in a time of recession, and some South Jersey.
- WKXW-FM (NJ101.5) Sep 13, 2010
There has been job creation, albeit small,” said Jack Worrall, the chairman of the economics department at Rutgers University-Camden, …
- COURIER-POST, Oct 3, 2010
No Tax Hikes Now – Op. Ed.
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) wrote a by-lined Op. Ed. On the proposed elimination of the Bush Tax cuts.
- WKXW-FM (NJ101.5), Aug 6, 2010
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) discussed productivity and the state of the labor market during an interview that appeared on news broadcasts throughout the afternoon and evening.
- Burlington County Times–Aug 3, 2010
Census report shows Burlington County hit hard by recession
Jack Worrall, an economics professor at Rutgers University in Camden, said the decreases were not surprising given that 2008 is generally regarded as the …
- WTXF-TV (Channel 29), July 29, 2010
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) discussed the economic recovery during an interview that appeared on “The Ten O’Clock News.”
- WKXW-FM (NJ101.5), July 27, 2010
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) discussed the impact of the recession on consumers; his interview appeared on news broadcasts throughout the afternoon and evening.
- WKXW-FM (NJ101.5), Jun 7, 2010
Economist Jack Worrall of Rutgers/Camden says he shares the … Worrall says looking at it gives him and many others pause as to what is …
- NJBIZ–Jul 26, 2010 Bankers Slam Reform Plan
But they may have already done too much, said John E. McWeeney Jr., … said Jack Worrall, an economics professor at the Camden campus of Rutgers …
- WKXW-FM (NJ101.5), July 19, 2010
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) offered expert perspective on the impact of the economic recession upon both men and women; his comments appeared during news broadcasts throughout the day.
- WKXW-FM (NJ101.5), Jun 4, 2010
Rutgers/Camden Economist Jack Worrall takes a positve view on jobs, … But Worrall still cautions Europe’s financial problems and signs …
- WKXW-FM (NJ101.5), May 21, 2010
“We’ll see some increase in revenues at the state levels but, again, it is going to be sluggish,” said Jack Worrall, chairman of the …
- DAILY RECORD, March 21, 2010
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) discussed issues related to proposed taxes on Wall Street executives during an interview that appeared in a news story in this northern New Jersey newspaper.
- NJ BIZ, March 10, 2010
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) discussed the state’s budget situation during an interview that appeared in a news story in this weekly statewide newspaper.
- SOUTH JERSEY MAGAZINE, March 2010
Dr. John Worrall (professor, CFAS-economics) discussed the state of the economy and the performance of the O’Bama Administration’s economic team during an interview in this magazine. The article featured a large photo of Professor Worrall.
- Experts: Credit crunch lingers
?Courier Post – Jan 27, 2010
We are in the early stages of the recovery and sectors of the economy are still fragile said Jack Worrall an economist at Rutgers Camden Although consumer … Full text.
- PhillyBurbs.com: Economy is slowly seeing improvements ?
phillyBurbs.com – Jan 27, 2010 Panelists John Worrall an economist at Rutgers Camden and Roy Fazio a partner in a staffing industry services company gave an outlook grade of 65 and …
- Rutgers Quarterly Business Outlook | Cherry Hill Sun?
Cherry Hill Sun – Jan 19, 2010
The first program of the new decade will feature a diverse slate of panelists including Dr Jack Worrall an economist with Rutgers University – Camden … (appeared multiple times on Comcast TV Network and multiple print media) …