Babu N.S. Dasari, Ph.D.
Armitage Hall, Room 317
311 North Fifth Street
Camden, NJ 08102
Phone: (856) 225-6787
- Ph.D., Economics, University of Madras, 2005.
- M.Phil., Applied Economics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, 1998.
- M.A., Economics, Acharya Nagarjuna University, 1996.
- B.A., Economics, Mathematics & Statistics, Acharya Nagarjuna University, 1994.
About Dr. Dasari
Dr. Dasari has been a consultant at the Development Research Group, the World Bank, Washington D.C. between 2005 and 2008. At the World Bank, he has been involved in two projects: 1) Tracking land – caste nexus in a South Indian village for a period of 140 years and 2) Decentralization and Planning Project for which several rounds of data from 450 villages in South India are processed and analyzed for evaluating the impact and performance of Panchayats (local village governments) by the passage of 73rd constitutional amendment in 1993.
Dr. Dasari has also been a consultant at the Center for the Advanced Study of India, (CASI), University of Pennsylvania between 2008 and 2010. At CASI, he has been actively involved in the following projects: 1) Higher Education in India and 2) Maoist Movement in India.
Dr. Dasari has over 10 years of teaching experience. He taught more than 100 courses which include undergrad & grad courses, onsite as well as online, in various Universities (Rutgers – Camden, Temple and Arcadia). He has been the Founder Director of Online Education and Development in Economics Department at Rutgers – Camden from 2013 to 2016 during which the online program in Economics Department gained momentum and acquired significance.
- Dr. Dasari is currently engaged in a project titled, “A study on issues and challenges of farming community due to land acquisition for new capital city formation in Amaravathi: Andhra Pradesh” with Rajesh C. Jampala, Dean of P.B. Siddhartha College of Arts & Science, India The focus of this study is to understand the impact of land pooling scheme on the socio-economic dimensions of farmers, tenant farmers and agriculture labourers of Amaravathi, Andhra Pradesh.
- He is also working on converting his pioneering and highly commended Ph.D. work titled, “Land, Caste and Economic Mobility: A Study from Deltaic Andhra, C. 1866 – 2001” into a book. Under the broad theme of socio- economic mobility, a pioneering study was conducted in a village in South India both from historic and contemporary perspective. In this study, the methodology used to collect and analyze historic data was innovative. Historic land data available in the form of survey and settlement registers at various time points 1866, 1900, 1929, land transaction data and field survey data were analyzed to examine the impact of irrigation, the Great Depression, land reforms, green revolution and competitive politics on social mobility in the caste system. This work is a unique contribution to our understanding of social and economic processes in rural India.
- Dr. Dasari has been a leader in using technology toward pedagogical goals. His research revolved around – choosing appropriate technologies and their integration toward pedagogical goals for their effectiveness and results.
- Most recently, Dr. Dasari is actively engaged in the implementation and research pertaining to “Problem-Based Learning: Implementation, Issues and Outcomes”.
- Pedagogy of Teaching & Technology
- Applied Microeconomics
- Development Economics
- Agricultural and Rural Economics
- Economic History
- Rural Sociology & Anthropology
- Long-term Village Studies & Agrarian Transformation
- Research Methodology
- “A Methodology to Track Economic Mobility of Castes in South Indian Village, circa 1866 – 2001” Journal of Rural Development, 2019, forthcoming.
- “Dialectics of Female Landownership: A Case Study in Deltaic Andhra, c. 1866 – 2001”, Journal of Rural Development, September, Vol. 35, Issue 4, October – December, 2016 with Tetsuji Yamada
- “What can emerging markets learn from public long-term care insurance system from a matured country: Experimental Study” in Jakovljevic Mikajlo (ed.), Health Economics and Policy Challenges in Global Emerging Markets, Nova Publishers, New York (2016) with Weihhong Zeng, ChiaChing Chen, Tetsuji Yamada, Joseph Harris III, Osama Hamed, I-Ming Chiu and Tadashi Yamada.
- “Do Health Reforms Impact Cost Consciousness of Health Care Professionals? Results from a Nation-Wide Survey in the Balkans” Balkan Medical Journal, (January 2016) with Jakovijevic Mihajlo, Vukovic Mira, Chen Chia-Ching, Antunovic Mirjana, Dragojevic-Smic Vikorija, Velickovic-Radovanovic Radmila, Siladji Djendji Miadenovic, Jankoviv Nikola, Rankovic Ana, Kovacevic Aleksandra, Antunovic Marko, Milovanovic Olivera, Markovic Verolijub and Tetsuji Yamada
- Political Economy of Irrigation Development and Patterns of Spatial Inequalities across Agro-climatic Regions of Krishna District, circa. 1850-2001, Journal of Rural Development, Vol. 31, No. 3, (July – September, 2012).
- Land, Caste and Economic Mobility: A Village in Delta Andhra, in Rao G.N., and D.Narasimha Reddy (eds.), Rural Transformation: Perspectives from Village Studies in Andhra Pradesh, Daanish Books, New Delhi (2008)
- Land, Caste and Economic Mobility: A Village Case Study in Delta Andhra, in Rao G.N., (Ed) Abstracts of Papers: Village Re-surveys, Kerala Programme on Local Level Development, Thiruvananthapuram, (August, 2002)
- “Caste Mobility in an Indian Village: 1866 – 2001” with Radu Ban, The World Bank and London of Economics and Vijayendra Rao, Development Research Group, The World Bank.
- “Functioning of Land Markets during the Great Depression, 1929-38: A Case Study in Delta Village of Andhra Pradesh”
- “Economic Mobility of Families: A Study from Deltaic Andhra, circa. 1866 – 2001”
- “A Study on Issues and Challenges of Farming Community due to land acquisition for new capital city formation in Amaravathi, Andhra Pradesh” with Rajesh C. Jampala, Dean, P.B. Siddhartha College of Arts & Science.
- “Choosing Appropriate Technologies and Integration Toward Pedagogical Goals: A Case of Teaching Economics and Mathematics” Presented at the Sixth Annual Rutgers University – Camden Faculty eLearning conference at Rutgers University – Camden, New Jersey (April 11, 2019)
- “Enhancing Learning Experience via Technologies, Integration and Innovations: A Case of Teaching Economics and Mathematics” Presented at the Tenth Rutgers Online Learning Conference at Heldrich Hotel & Conference Center, New Jersey (March 18, 2019).
- “Some Aspects of Course Redesign, Implementation and Outcomes”: Presented at Digital Teaching Fellows 2018: Cohort: Course Redesign Presentations in Rutgers University – Camden (February 8, 2019).
- “Applications of Macroeconomics Knowledge to a Real-World Situation: A PBL Question”: Poster Presented at a workshop on Introduction to Problem-Based Learning at the University of Delaware, Newark, DE, USA (January 11, 2019).
- “Building a Career in Economics and Management”: Presented at P.B. Siddhartha College of Arts & Science, Vijayawada, INDIA (July 26, 2018).
- “Career Path in Economics for Management & Engineering Students”: Presented at PVP Siddhartha Institute of Technology, Vijayawada, INDIA (July 26, 2018).
- “Changing Patterns of Higher Education in India, presented at Center for Economic Social Studies”, Hyderabad, INDIA (August 10, 2009)
- “Land, Caste and Economic Mobility: A Study from Deltaic Andhra, C.1866-2001”, presented at Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai- INDIA. (July 14, 2005)
- “Land, Caste and Economic Mobility: A Study in Deltaic Andhra, C.1866-2001”, presented at the Madras School of Economics, Chennai, INDIA. (October 17, 2003)
- “Land, Caste and Economic Mobility: A Case Study from Delta Andhra”, presented at Madras Institute of Development Studies, Chennai as a part of Village Re-surveys project by Kerala Research Programme on Local Level Development, Thiruvananthapuram, INDIA.( August 30, 2002)
- “Dynamics of Land and Caste in a Deltaic Village: A Case Study of Nandivada in Krishna District”, presented at Warrangal, INDIA. (October 30, 1999)
- American Economy
- Biostatistics for Health Professionals (online)
- Business Statistics
- Economic Development (face-to-face & online)
- Economic Reasoning & Applications (face-to-face & Online)
- Elementary Statistics
- Foundations of Econometrics
- Intermediate Algebra
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Intermediate Microeconomics (face-to-face & online)
- International Trade
- Introduction to Quantitative Skills Business (online)
- Managerial Economics (face-to-face & online)
- Principles of Microeconomics (face-to-face & online)
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Public Finance
Professional and University Service
- Founding Director, Online Education and Development, Department of Economics, Rutgers University – Camden, 2013 to 2016.
- Member, Executive Committee, Rutgers University Senate, 2018-2019 & 2019-2020.
- Senator, Rutgers University, 2013 to 2022.
- Member, Academic Standards, Regulations and Admissions Committee, Rutgers University, 2013 to 2022.
- Member, Academic Policy and Course Study Committee, Rutgers – Camden, 2015 to 2021.
- Member, Commencement Speaker and Honorary Doctorate Recipient Committee, 2016 /2017; 2017/2018 & 2018/2019.
- Member, Strategic Planning Committee- Building on Faculty Excellence, Rutgers University, Spring 2014
- Member, Academic Council, Madras Institute of Development Studies, India, 2003 – 2004.
- Member, Scholarship Selection Committee for Economically Backward Students, P.B. Siddhartha College of Arts and Science, India, 1993 – 1994
Awards, Fellowships, and Grants
- Non-Tenure Track Faculty Enhancement Grant, Faculty of Arts & Science, Rutgers University – Camden (2019 – 2020)
- Open and Affordable Textbook (OAT) Program Award, Rutgers University, 2018 – 2019. (https://www.libraries.rutgers.edu/open-textbooks/previous-recipients-and-projects-2018-2019).
- Digital Teaching Fellowship, Faculty of Arts & Science, Rutgers University – Camden, 2018.
- GE Human Capital Fund was approved to undertake research on “Higher Education in India” with Dr. Devesh Kapur, 2008 – 2009.
- Learning Beyond Averages (LBA) funding by World Bank was approved for a joint-work titled ‘Tracking Land and Caste Mobility in an Indian Village 1866-2001’, with Dr. Vijayendra Rao, 2005 – 2006.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fellowship by Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial Fund, Teen Murti House, New Delhi during my Ph.D. This is one of India’s very prestigious fellowships for full-time PhD students. For more information: http://www.jnmf.in/
- Ford Foundation fellowship at Institute for Financial Management and Research, Chennai, INDIA, 1998 – 2001.
- Institute fellowship at Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram, INDIA, 1996 – 1998.
- Member, Advisory Editorial Board, Journal of Rural Development, May 2019 to Present.
- Member, American Economic Association.
- Life Member, Indian Economic Association.
- 18 months of field work on land, caste and economic mobility in a village in Andhra Pradesh in South India, 2001 – 2003.
- 6 months of field work on operation of land markets in a village in Andhra Pradesh South India, 1997 – 1998.